Below is a list of the chapters in the book along with a brief description of the chapter content.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction – gives general information, stats and an overview of the book, its design, and underlying philosophy/principals.
- Chapter 2 – The Back Story – I present it to establish credibility as evidence chronic pain can take a backseat and not ruin your life.
- Chapters 3 – Ouch! That Hurts – Understanding Pain and the Nervous System – covers pain mechanisms and the various nervous systems. Many aspects of following chapters build on the concepts and terminology presented here. Plus learning about our nervous system and its components is something every chronic pain patient should know.
- Chapter 4 – God or the One in Blue Jeans – Your Doctor(s) – discusses how to find competent healthcare providers and will prepare you to establish rational expectations. This chapter discusses how to find and interview prospective practitioners playing important roles in a multidisciplinary team with you at the helm.
- Chapter 5 – Am I Losing My Marbles: – Psychological Aspects of Chronic Pain – discusses psychological and social aspects of pain, respectively. These are import as they will help you develop a deeper understanding of you, where you are and those things you can do to move you in a positive forward directions on you journey to a thriving life
- Chapters 6 – Get the Hell Out – Social Aspects of Chronic Pain – Understanding the social challenges chronic pain sufferers often endure, and how to respond to them.
- Chapter 7 – Drugs-Friend or Foe – Drugs in Pain Management – documents the history of drug therapies treatments for chronic pain.
- Chapter 8 – Protecting the Temple – This might be the most important chapter in the book. It describes how chronic pain sufferers can rewire those neuro-pathways to mitigate pain. It describes ways to nurture and protect your brain leading to a healthier life.
- Chapter 9 – Exploring the Horizon – explores various therapeutic options for those with chronic pain to consider.
- Chapter 10 – Don’t Go It Alone – discusses having or establishing a support network for you and your family/caregivers.
- Chapter 11 – Rewiring the House – Neuroplasticity – present scientific evidence for retraining your brain and unlearning your pain.
- Chapter 12- Being True and Kind to Yourself – Decisions and Accountability – speaks to issues and decisions regarding physicians, treatments, self-care, pain management, support, medications, and more.