Below is a list of the chapters in the book along with a brief description of the chapter content.
- Chapter 1 – Introduction – This chapter provides general information, stats and an overview of the book, its design, and underlying philosophy/principals.
- Chapter 2 – The Back Story – The Author’s Journey – I present it to establish credibility as evidence chronic pain can take a backseat and not ruin your life.
- Chapter 3 – Ouch! That Hurts – Understanding Pain and the Nervous System – Describes pain mechanisms and how they work. Many aspects of following chapters build on the concepts and terminology presented here. More in-depth information on the brain and nervous system are found in the appendices for those wanting greater knowledge of the incredible brain and nervous systems.
- Chapter 4 – God or the Guy in Blue Jeans – Your Doctor(s) – I discuss how to find and interview competent healthcare providers and will prepare you to establish rational expectations with your providers. Finding competent and empathetic practitioners is critical in building your multidisciplinary team with you at the helm directing your medical care.
- Chapter 5 – Protecting the Temple – The BIO in BIOpsychosocial – This might be the most important chapter in the book. It describes how chronic pain sufferers can mitigate pain through movement, diet, exercise and more. It describes ways to nurture and protect your brain and body leading you to a healthier life.
- Chapter 6 – Am I Losing My Marbles: – The PSYCHO in bioPSYCHOsocial – discusses psychological and social aspects of pain. These are import as they will help you develop a deeper understanding of you, where you are and those things you can do to move you in a positive forward directions on you journey to a thriving life. Much of chronic pain is modulated up or down depending on you emotional wellbeing.
- Chapters 7 – Get the Hell Out – The SOCIAL in biopsychoSOCIAL – This chapter is designed to help you understand and navigate the social challenges chronic pain sufferers often endure, and how to respond to them.
- Chapter 8 – Drugs-Friend or Foe – Drugs in Pain Management – Documents some recent history of drug therapies for chronic pain, associated challenges, such as the “Opioid Crisis” and considering new options and approaches.
- Chapter 9 – Exploring the Horizon – Therapeutic Options – This chapter enumerates many various therapeutic options for those with chronic pain to consider (with their providers) presenting the pros and cons of each general type of therapy.
- Chapter 10 Don’t Go It Alone – What You and Your Support Network Should Know – This chapter discusses the importance of having or establishing a support network for you and your family/caregivers. It provides valuable information for both those with chronic pain and their caregivers or support network.
- Chapter 11 – Rewiring the House – Neuroscience and Neuroplasticity – presents scientific evidence and practical skills for retraining your brain and unlearning your pain.
- Chapter 12- Being True and Kind to Yourself – Decisions and Accountability – This speaks to issues and decisions regarding physicians, treatments, self-care, pain management, support, medications, accountability and more.
NOTE: The appendices are all on-line and avail under “Resources.”